Any of Jane Street’s main career paths can be pursued in New York, London, or Hong Kong.
- Quantitative Trading
- Quantitative Research
- Institutional Services
Traders work in teams to seek out and take advantage of pricing inefficiencies, develop models, manage risk, investigate new products, and push into new business areas. Experienced traders mentor newer colleagues, whose responsibilities increase with their capability.
Ideal candidates will be:
- Excellent quantitatively, with a strong understanding of probability and statistics
- Effective communicators in close-knit team settings
- Motivated, competitive, and eager to learn and teach
- Excited to engage in impromptu and exploratory debate on trading strategy and risk
Previous experience or coursework in finance, business, or economics is not required. We’re more interested in how you think and learn than what you know.
The technology group is actively hiring in multiple different areas. For all of these, no previous experience or coursework in finance, business, or economics is required. We’re more interested in how you think and learn than what you already know.
The software engineering team works closely with the rest of the firm, building tools, exploring trading ideas, and designing and maintaining the firm’s software systems.
For engineering roles, you should have:
- Top-notch programming skills, with an interest in (but not necessarily experience with) functional programming languages.
- Deep experience with—and love for—technology. There’s no specific checklist; we use software to attack a variety of problems, so we’re interested in everything from machine learning to systems administration to programming language design.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Software engineering at Jane Street is highly collaborative, and we are looking for people who can work effectively in small, close-knit teams.
- A commitment to the practical. We produce production software on a continuous basis, affecting day-to-day operations in every area of the firm.
Information Technology and Networking
This group builds and maintains the firm’s technological nervous system. Group members keep our networks fast and robust, manage counterparty connectivity, and provide the glue to hold together the firm’s far-flung activities.
For information technology and networking roles, you should have:
- A love for automation. We don’t like solving the same problem manually over and over, and we generally try to program our way out of it.
- A careful approach. The systems we manage trade billions of dollars a day, so the stakes are high. We need people who can make quick decisions when necessary, but at the same time maintain a sense of humility about the limits of their own knowledge.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Jane Street is a highly collaborative place, and we are looking for people who can work effectively with people across the firm.
IT & Networking
Researchers at Jane Street are responsible for building models, strategies, and systems that price and trade a variety of financial instruments. As a mix of the trading and software engineering roles, this work involves many things: analyzing large datasets, building and testing models, creating new trading strategies, and writing the code that implements them.
Researchers at Jane Street care about:
- Deploying the right tool (mathematical, statistical, computational) for the job. We see ourselves as generalists.
- Writing quality production-level code. Researchers spend most of their day writing code.
- Thinking and communicating precisely and openly. We believe great solutions come from the interaction between diverse groups of people across the firm.
- Having a real impact on the firm by always striving to keep our work relevant.
We’re looking for:
- An ability to apply logical and mathematical thinking to all kinds of problems. Asking great questions is more important than knowing all the answers.
- A desire to write great code, mostly in OCaml. You don’t need functional programming experience, but you should want to learn.
- Good taste in quantitative research. The problems we work on rarely have clean definitive answers. You should be comfortable pushing in new and unknown directions while maintaining clarity of purpose.
- Smart and curious people–previous experience or coursework in finance, business, or economics is not required. We’re more interested in how you think and learn than what you know.
- Those who work well with data. Some machine learning tools work well with a variety of data sets, some work very well with specific data sets. You should be prepared to use whatever tool is best for the task at hand.
Jane Street offers our unique liquidity and trade execution services to the largest institutional investors and asset managers in the world. Roles in Institutional Services are generally client-facing to some degree.
Specific skill sets for each Institutional Services position will vary, but all include strong capital markets knowledge, effective communication skills, and a desire to build and nurture client relationships.
- Equities Sales & Trading
- ETF Sales & Trading
- Options Sales & Trading
- Institutional Marketing
Our infrastructure areas are key to the firm’s success. Roles in these areas offer endless opportunities to contribute directly and tangibly to our business. Everyone at Jane Street sits together on one trading floor, collaborating closely with each other to ensure that the firm’s critical functions operate efficiently while at the same time being constantly improved.
The specific skill set for each infrastructure position varies, but all include strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, detail orientation, and the desire to work in a team-based environment.
- Business Development: documenting and solving problems related to the implementation of complex trading strategies within regulatory rules and under operational and technological constraints
- Operations: P&L reconciliation, clearing & settlements (some other financial institutions describe this as back office)
- Finance: accounting, regulatory capital finance, accounts payable/receivable
- Human Resources
- Legal & Compliance
- Office Administration