The Jane Street Graduate Research Fellowship supports exceptional doctoral students currently pursuing a PhD in mathematics, computer science, or statistics.
At Jane Street we take a rigorous, quantitative approach to trading on global markets, combining techniques from machine learning, distributed systems, programmable hardware, statistics, and applied mathematics. Our culture is steeped in games, puzzles, and challenging problems. With the Graduate Research Fellowship, we’re excited to support PhD students who share our values: technical excellence, intellectual curiosity, and humility.
See below for more details and feel free to direct questions to email@example.com.
- Full tuition and fees will be fully covered for the academic year.
- A $40,000 USD stipend will be provided to help with living expenses while in school.
- Fellows will be invited (but not required) to visit New York City to give a talk on any topic of their choosing to Jane Street employees and other fellows; all expenses will be paid.
- PhD students who will be in their 2nd to 6th year of a PhD program in mathematics, computer science, or statistics in the next academic year are eligible to apply.
- Students must remain in good academic standing as an active, full-time member of their PhD program at a degree-granting university in the United States for the duration of the academic year of the award, or forfeit the award. Deferrals for medical/other reasons may be granted on a case-by-case basis.
- International students studying at U.S. institutions are eligible and encouraged to apply! Please see below for details regarding university eligibility requirements.
- Applications can be submitted here.
- Complete applications should include:
- Education information.
- A CV or resume.
- A letter of recommendation from your thesis advisor or other supporting faculty.
- A brief statement explaining your research (or your proposed research direction) to a general, mathematically or technically inclined audience who may not be specialists in your field.
- Other sources of funding you’re already receiving.
- Applicants who advance beyond an initial screen will be invited for a phone interview early in the following year. Funding will begin in fall of the following academic year.
If you are a faculty member who wishes to nominate a student, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For PhD students and faculty, we offer a Visiting Researcher Program. Instead of a fellowship that supports you financially while you continue graduate work at your home institution, the Visiting Researcher program invites you to conduct research while working at Jane Street. It’s geared toward researchers whose work (a) more closely aligns with our goals and (b) would benefit from exposure to industrial practice.
In general, PhD fellowships require university-specific legal negotiations; we currently have arrangements with several institutions and are actively working on growing this list. Meanwhile, we are happy to award fellowships to students in programs at universities where we do not yet have an agreement in place. If accepted, we will work with your program to arrange the award of your fellowship. Universities must be accredited research institutions in the United States that award doctoral degrees.
We do not discriminate against any individual on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
1Note that stipends are taxable and may be subject to withholdings.